Stuffed Acorn Squash
This recipe is made with squash, millet and spinach, making for a wealthy and attractive meal that’s secure for a number of meals allergic reactions. It’s primarily based on a recipe by Cybele Pascal from her ebook Allergy-Free and Simple Cooking, which gives engaging recipes that keep away from the highest allergens: dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish and sesame. Yields 4 servings.
1⁄2 cup millet
1 1⁄2 cups water
2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for brushing squash
Salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
1⁄2 cup chopped candy or yellow onion
2 massive cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
1 bag (5 to six ounces) child spinach
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1⁄4 cup shelled hemp seeds, toasted
4 heaping teaspoons high quality breadcrumbs
4 heaping teaspoons butter or olive oil
1. Mix the millet and water in a small saucepot over medium-high warmth. Deliver to a boil, then cut back warmth to medium-low. Cowl and simmer for 18 minutes, or till the water is absorbed. (Don't stir the millet or it would turn out to be creamy. You need it to cook dinner up like rice, and refraining from stirring will accomplish this.)
2. In the meantime, frivolously brush the insides of the squash halves with a little bit olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place face down on a big microwave-safe dish. Cowl and cook dinner within the microwave for 16 minutes, or till tender.
3. Whereas squash is cooking, warmth 1 tablespoon olive oil in a big, heavy pan over medium warmth. Add the onion and cook dinner for two minutes, or till tender. Add the garlic and cranberries, and cook dinner and stir for 1 further minute. Add the spinach and cook dinner, stirring typically, till wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir within the vinegar and sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Cook dinner and stir for an additional minute. Take away from warmth, and stir within the hemp seeds.
4. Preheat the broiler on excessive.
5. As soon as the millet is cooked, fluff it frivolously with a fork. Mix 1 cup of millet with the spinach combination and toss.
6. Put the squash halves, minimize facet up, in a broiler-safe pan or on a rimmed baking tray. Divide the filling evenly among the many squash halves, mounding it barely. High every with 1 heaping teaspoon breadcrumbs and 1 heaping teaspoon butter. Broil 8 inches from the warmth supply for 4 to five minutes, or till properly browned.
NOTE: To toast hemp seeds, warmth a small frying pan or skillet over medium warmth. Add the hemp seeds and cook dinner, stirring typically, for two to three minutes, or till golden and fragrant.
Maple-Baked Acorn Squash
In her e-book sequence Recent Pantry, writer Amy Pennington introduces readers to recent seasonal elements to assist those that are attempting to eat a sustainable, seasonal food plan. Cook dinner this tried-and-true deal with once you need one thing straightforward and wholesome. Yields 1 serving.
1 acorn squash, washed, minimize in half, seeds eliminated
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown sugar
4 recent sage leaves
Coarse salt, to style
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Place the squash halves, minimize facet up, in a pie tin or a small roasting pan. Add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon syrup and a pair of sage leaves to every cavity.
3. Bake for 45 minutes, or till the squash is tender and could be simply pierced with a fork. Take away squash from the oven and let stand to chill for about 5 minutes, then discard the sage leaves.
4. Utilizing a fork, scrape the flesh up from the pores and skin, mixing to mix flavors. Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve.
NOTE: Acorn squash is the only option for this recipe. Its porous and thick nature permits the maple and butter to seep in with out being too stringy. This dish holds within the fridge for sooner or later earlier than changing into dry.
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Recent Pantry: Winter Squash by Amy Pennington.