Getty / gaus-nataliya
Among the best elements of ordering in Chinese or Thai takeout is the leftovers. Stir fried dishes, rice dishes, noodles: All of them are nice to have for next-day snacking or a second meal. However one in all my favourite methods to offer them a second life is to show them right into a hearty breakfast. Asian takeout may not be the very first thing you consider at breakfast time, however it's a fantastic approach to begin your day! And if you concentrate on dishes like egg foo young and Thai omelets, you'll be able to see how the addition of eggs to these taste profiles are a match made in heaven!
The key is frittatas
The perfect factor to do with leftovers is to turn them into frittatas. By simply including eggs, you'll be able to convert your leftovers into a beautiful breakfast or brunch entrée. Turning these savory dishes right into a sliceable morning deal with makes essentially the most of them and might stretch them the furthest if you're feeding a household. Two cups of leftover fried rice or pad Thai is a lightweight lunch for one particular person, however by turning it right into a frittata, you'll be able to simply feed 4-6!
How one can make "takeout" frittatas with Chinese language and Thai leftovers
First, prep your leftovers. In case your leftovers have any massive chunks, like sesame hen or beef and broccoli, chop a bit smaller to prep. In case your leftovers are a bit soupy, like curries, you would possibly wish to drain off further sauce, and set it apart...you'll be able to reheat it and serve on high of the frittata.
Here is your easy-to-use ratio for quantities: For a takeout frittata of any dimension, use 1-2 massive eggs for each ½ cup of leftover rice or noodle dishes.
You may make a small frittata for one in a mini skillet with 1 cup of leftovers and 2-3 eggs, or a big one for a crowd with 3 cups of leftovers and 6-12 eggs. I want my frittatas to have proportion of eggs, particularly if there may be not quite a lot of protein in my leftovers, so I am going for the upper variety of eggs. However in the event you want to have a frittata that's simply utilizing the eggs as a binder, you should use the smaller quantity.
Now, this is all you do!
1. Beat the eggs, season with a splash or two of soy sauce, then combine together with your leftovers whereas they're nonetheless chilly. For those who suppose the combination appears too dry add extra eggs, separately, till you've a mix that appears good to you.
2. Warmth a nonstick skillet of acceptable dimension on your frittata over medium excessive warmth and warmth your oven to 400°.
3. Add some impartial high-smoke-point oil like peanut or avocado, and when it shimmers, add the egg and leftover combine, patting it down into an excellent layer. Put a lid on the pan, and let cook dinner for 4-5 minutes, till the underside is ready and starting to brown, and the highest has began to solidify.
4. Take away the lid and switch to the oven. Cook dinner a further 10-Quarter-hour till it's puffed and golden, and the middle is cooked by way of. A knife caught within the heart ought to come out with no runny egg seen.
5. Let relaxation for five minutes within the pan earlier than turning out onto a plate and slicing into wedges. Serve sizzling or room temp. If in case you have any chili crisp mendacity round, it makes an incredible condiment, as does sriracha or different Asian chili sauce.