I as soon as made a slow-cooker model of pea and ham soup from a recipe e-book my husband was given when he left residence. To say it was terrible doesn't even start to explain the catastrophe that was the dish. I kicked myself for not sticking with my tried-and-true household recipe and vowed by no means to go ‘off script’ once more.
And I didn’t… Till now! This cheat’s model of a standard pea and ham soup makes use of lentils as an alternative of peas and bacon as an alternative of ham — however tastes precisely the identical. It’s scrumptious, wholesome and really straightforward to tug collectively. It’s additionally very filling. Get pleasure from!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 massive onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups dried pink lentils
- 1.5L rooster inventory
- Warmth oil over medium warmth and cook dinner bacon, onion, carrot and garlic till smooth.
- Add lentils and cook dinner for one more minute to coat.
- Add inventory and simmer for 20-25 minutes or till lentils are smooth and soup is thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to style earlier than serving.